Wednesday, February 24, 2010
As I mentioned yesterday, I started drinking the green smoothie in Dr. Mitra Ray's book as much for vanity and beauty as I did to feel better. I know my motives weren't pure and I'm okay with that. I mean, OF COURSE I wanted to get healthy and have more energy and feel better but if the side effect was looking better too, well, so be it.
In, 'Do You Have the Guts to be Beautiful' Dr. Ray gives us the keys to being beautiful, both inside and out, without pills, chemicals or complicated recipes. It was one of the first books I read that talked about the importance of eating a whole-foods plant-based diet for optimal health, as well as beauty.
Anyway, I was poking around on her web site yesterday and came across her top ten list of things to do to get healthy. On her site she goes into detail for each item but I thought I would just list them for you here. It's nothing ground-breaking and you've heard most of it before, but when you have a few extra minutes you should visit her site and spend some time reminding yourself why these practices are so crucial to good health and optimal wellness.
Ten Things to do to Get Healthy
1. Take 10 deep breaths whenever you feel stressed.
2. Drink water, and plenty of it.
3. Eat plant-based, whole-foods at every meal, and make it the biggest part of the meal.
4. Get at least 8 hours of sleep each day.
5. Eat a whole-food based supplement.
6. Eat processed foods sparingly, less than once a week if possible.
7. Make breakfast and lunch your biggest meals.
8. Get outside and move a little bit each day.
9. Start each day with a Green Drink.
10. Think good, healthy thoughts.
I think I need to pay special attention to #1 this week while I am off coffee and wine. I feel especially vulnerable to the crying and the whining and the screaming ... I think Eric put them up to it in an attempt to break me so he can win the bet. But I'm on to his little ruse and am hanging tough despite the added pressure. Ear plugs are helpful.
Be well everyone and have happy hump day!