Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Test Kitchen for Dummies

Here at Full At Last, all of our recipes undergo rigorous testing before they are posted. Rigorous. Not only do my friend Melanie and I make, taste and attempt to serve each recipe to our own family, but we also go the extra mile … we have Glennon try them as well.

For those of you that don’t know Glennon, she has been known to turn off the oven when the pre-heat signal chimes, serve melted plastic lids for dinner and use her only pan as part of a festive Fall centerpiece. Some would call her a lost cause in the kitchen but not me. I saw an opportunity to turn her kitchen phobias and blunders into an effective barometer for all of you. I feel strongly that if Glennon attempts a recipe and is successful with it that, quite literally, anyone can make it.

So, if something receives the “Glennon Stamp of Approval,” or GSA as we will now refer to it, you will know that it is safe for even the most cooking-challenged among you to try.

In the interest of full disclosure, you should know that yesterday’s black bean hummus recipe, while delicious and nutritious, did not receive the GSA.

Here’s what happened when she attempted to scrape down the sides of the blender with her red spatula; note the disappointed looks on the faces of her mom and kids:



A close up shot reveals a half-chewed up red spatula:



Further photos reveal that Glennon was still trying to serve the hummus, complete with bits of red plastic for garnish. It looks like Chase was not fooled:



The black bean hummus is easier to make in a food processor; however, you CAN use a blender. Just make sure to turn off the blender before you scrape down the sides so you don't end up with a bowl of spatula-flecked hummus. (It's okay Glennon, it could have happened to anyone!)

Tune in tomorrow to meet the official taste team!

8 comments:

  1. life is hard.

    also, when in a pinch, plastic is actually sort of tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't say that i feel that badly for you after reading your post this morning. i mean, we all knew craig was hot, but he's a model!??! who needs a pan with a model for a husband? jeez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh G, honey, it's ok. I do think it could happen to anyone! And aren't gummy bears practically plastic anyway? They're pretty yummy.

    I am in the midst of making a slow cooker recipe that I'm hoping will be great so I can pass along... Black Bean Chicken. Very simple and hopefully delicious. I will keep you posted tomorrow, if I don't make myself and my family sick.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes kristan, the spatula tasted just like gummy bears! in a sort of...not at all...kind of way.

    the hummus is DELICIOUS sans plastic though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Kristan and keep us posted on your culinary progress! I'm currently in the "test kitchen" and will have a couple more for everyone to try over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! Even the pork loving, hide the taco bell receipt husband will love? I hope so! Nice try G. Aunt Tish must feel compelled to visit OFTEN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin, my recipe was a success... I'd love to share it but not sure if it needs to go through the taste test team first. Let me know and I can email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the recipes. Getting caught up this morning and printing, printing, printing.

    Thank you Erin!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete